Looking for a delicious new spin on your classic chicken soup? This creamy curry chicken and rice soup recipe is going to turn into your new favorite comfort food. Hearty and savory, you can create this chicken curry soup from scratch or using leftovers.
Want to learn how to make this flavorful chicken rice soup with cooked rice? Check out this amazing soup recipe below.
How to Make Curried Chicken and Rice Soup
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 hours
Yield: 10 servings
Ingredients For Curried Chicken and Rice Soup
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¾ cup butter or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½-1 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 ½ cups full-fat coconut milk
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 to 3 cups cooked chicken breast or 1 whole chicken, cubed or shredded
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, optional
Directions for Curried Chicken and Rice Soup
- Start by cooking the rice in your rice cooker. Begin the rest of the soup while the rice is cooking.
- In a large saucepan or large pot, add the butter or oil, chicken, and seasoned salt. Cook over medium-high heat until most pieces of meat is no longer pink.
- Saute carrots and add the onion, garlic, and celery. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add the curry powder and ground ginger. Stir and cook for 1 more minute to let the flavors come out.
- Move cooked chicken and other ingredients to a large stockpot. Add the chicken broth and lime juice and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Gradually add milk to the chicken broth. Add white, brown, or wild rice to the chicken curry soup. Mix well and reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes before serving.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and optional cilantro. Serve immediately.
Cooking Tips for this Chicken Rice Soup Meal
- This curry soup recipe is excellent for turning leftovers into a new dish. Stir in leftover turkey, rotisserie chicken, or any other poultry.
- You can add more veggies to this recipe alongside the carrots, celery, and onion. We recommend adding green beans, potatoes, peas, or even chopped spinach to the recipe.
- To add more broth texture to your curry chicken rice soup, use shredded chicken.
- For a thicker broth, gradually add flour and stir continuously to incorporate.
- While you can cook this recipe using whole milk, coconut milk is best to give it that signature curry flavor and sweetness.
We love an easy soup recipe that’s different from the usual but for which we can find all the ingredients at our local grocery store. Cook this fantastic and unique curry chicken and rice soup that the whole family is sure to fall in love with.