Do you have shrimp sitting in your freezer and you have no idea what to do with it? Here’s a straightforward and flavorful recipe that you can get behind!
This firecracker shrimp and rice dish takes shrimp and rice to a whole new level with its combination of sweet and spicy flavors. It’s also very easy to make and it’s not time-consuming either. How’s that for a convenient and effortless meal? Give it a try!
Ingredients for Firecracker Shrimp and Rice
You don’t need any special ingredients to make this one-pot meal. Almost all of the components needed for this dish can be found in your pantry. And if ever you’re missing a certain item, it can be easily found at your nearest grocery. Do take note that you’ll need to prepare and cook your rice beforehand.
- 1 1/4 pounds peeled and deveined small shrimp (tails removed)
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 bunch of scallions, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- Sriracha for garnish
- Optional: cilantro
How to Make Firecracker Rice and Shrimp
- In a medium bowl, whisk the brown sugar, orange juice, hot sauce, rice vinegar, red pepper flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon salt together. Set aside.
- Dry the shrimp using paper towels. Place them in a large bowl afterward.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch over the shrimp. Toss to coat the shrimp evenly.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, fry the shrimp until they turn pink, or about 1 minute for each side.
- Add the ginger and garlic. Cook together, stirring continuously until fragrant or about 1 minute.
- Add the rice, scallions, and sauce mixture. Stir to combine.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until warmed through.
- Top with more red pepper flakes. Drizzle sriracha over the shrimp and rice. Garnish with cilantro leaves if desired. Serve immediately.
Tips for Firecracker Shrimp and Rice
- While this recipe specifies basmati rice, you may use any type of rice that you prefer. Just make sure to make it beforehand.
- Raw and cleaned shrimp with the tails removed is the best to use for this dish. You can choose to use the frozen kind as well.
- You may lower the spiciness of the dish by reducing the sriracha or skipping the red pepper flakes.
- If you have leftover firecracker shrimp and rice, keep them in an airtight container and refrigerate them for 3 to 4 days. Freezing this dish is not recommended as it can change the consistency and texture of the sauce and the shrimp.
- To reheat, you may use the microwave or heat it over the stove.
Final Note on Garlic Cilantro Lime Rice
Cooking firecracker shrimp and rice is easier than it looks! Once you’ve mastered this dish, you don’t have to run to the nearest Chinese restaurant to get a takeout box of it. You can make it in your kitchen anytime you want. It only uses one pot as well, making cleanup a breeze. What are you waiting for? Tie up your apron and get to cooking!
Looking for more dinner ideas? Check out the recipes in our collection.