Meatballs are always great to have but what if you want a lighter, more nutritious option than that? Fret not, because here’s your answer! Chickpea and Rice Balls are a great starter to any meal! It is a dish that can be eaten on its own too as it is delicious and packed with nutrients. Try out this simple and easy Chickpea and Rice Balls recipe today!
Chickpea and Rice Balls Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups cooked medium-grain or long-grain rice
- 1 can (410 g) chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup parsley (chopped)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Chickpea and Rice Balls
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mash the chickpeas with a blender, fork, or potato masher until fairly smooth. Transfer to a bowl once done.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute the onion and garlic until tender, or for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add to the mashed chickpeas.
- Mix the chickpeas, onion, and garlic together.
- Slowly stir in the rice, beaten egg, coriander, and paprika, and mix it well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and using your hands, shape each part into a ball.
- Place the balls on a greased baking sheet. Drizzle a little olive oil over the balls.
- Place the balls in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until the balls are crispy and slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- If you want this dish to be vegan, you can skip the beaten egg. Add extra olive oil instead.
- These rice balls can also be deep-fried. Simply heat oil in a pan and deep-fry the balls for 2 to 3 minutes until golden and crispy.
- If you wish, you can serve the rice balls with a tahini dip on the side.
- Creamed vegetables, green salad, and bread are great side dishes to eat with this dish.
Rich in fiber and protein, chickpeas make for a great replacement for meat in any dish. Combined with rice, these chickpea balls are low-calorie and low in fat too, making them an excellent way to start off a meal or something that you can snack on. Best of all, you can modify the flavor according to your taste and even mix and match it with various dips. Make this delicious dish today!
Want to level up your game in the kitchen? Browse through our recipe collection and try your hand at any of them!