This fun recipe blends two old classics for a great new taste the whole family can enjoy. With the rich flavor of carbonara combined with the crispy, crunchy texture of fried rice, this is the perfect way to use up leftovers and simple ingredients you have in your fridge. Learn how to make it right here.
How Do You Make Carbonara Fried Rice?
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 4 strips of bacon, chopped
- ½ cup rice wine
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put the eggs in a bowl with ½ cup parmesan cheese, and most of the parsley. Whisk it together and set it aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large deep skillet until crispy. Scoop out with a spoon and drain on paper towels, leaving the drippings in the skillet.
- Pour in the wine and cook over medium-high heat for a couple of minutes, scraping all the bacon bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the cooked rice to the skillet with the bacon drippings and stir for a few minutes until it is hot.
- Remove the pan from heat. Add the butter, the egg mixture, and the bacon and toss to coat (the heat of the rice is going to cook the egg mixture just the right amount).
- Add the scallions and toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide among bowls, garnish with Parmesan, and the rest of the parsley. Serve immediately.
- This recipe works best with cold leftover rice as it holds its shape as it cooks. Avoid using freshly cooked rice as this will turn soft and mushy during the cooking process.
- Removing the pan from the heat before adding the eggs will prevent the eggs from curdling and turn them into a creamy, sauce-like mixture.
Fried rice dishes are a great way to make use of leftovers, and this particular recipe is a fun twist on two classics. We love that the ingredients are so easy to find and are typically what we already have in the fridge.
Looking for other easy meals like this one? Check out our blog for more rice recipes.