For effortless yet delicious meals that take little effort, look no further than rice bowls. This recipe includes bite-size pieces of bacon, crisp-tender broccoli, and yummy eggs over brown rice. Easy and delicious, this rice bowl is going to turn into a weekday staple.
How to Make Bacon Broccoli Rice Bowl
This bacon and broccoli rice bowl is a bit of an upgrade compared to your usual lazy meals, but it’s just as simple and easy to cook up while remaining surprisingly healthy. Drizzled with sesame oil and full of veggies like broccoli, carrot, and scallion, this bowl is packed with a surprising amount of flavor.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 bowls
- 4 strips bacon
- 4 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 5 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cover the eggs with about 1 inch of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a medium-high simmer over medium heat, cover, and remove the pan from heat.
- Let stand for 8 minutes. Run under cold water; peel and quarter each.
- Meanwhile, arrange the bacon in a large nonstick skillet and fry over medium-high heat until golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove the bacon from the large skillet and chop it into bite-size pieces.
- Add the broccoli florets and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until charred in spots. Drizzle with a splash of sesame oil.
- Whisk together the chicken broth, low-sodium soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Add the rice, broccoli, and scallion whites and toss to combine. Cover and microwave on high heat, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli is crisp-tender and the rice is warmed through, about 6 minutes.
- Divide the rice-broccoli mixture into four bowls. Top each with a quartered egg, bacon, carrot, scallion greens, and fresh cilantro.
- Drizzle each bacon and broccoli with the brown rice dish with additional sesame oil and soy sauce as desired. Serve immediately.
Cooking Tips for Bacon and Broccoli Rice Bowl
- After cooking bacon in a large skillet and it is crisp to your liking, place it on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil and keep its crispiness.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, be sure to use gluten-free tamari instead of soy sauce.
Stir together this simple recipe in a pan and toss it all together in a bowl to enjoy. Whether you’re busy or just looking for something you can whip up with common ingredients in the fridge, this is a healthy meal that the whole family can enjoy.
Want to learn more rice dishes like this? Check out other popular recipes on our website.