A steaming bowl of rice can be great comfort food, and this recipe of Texas-style Spanish rice is sure to be a hit at your dining table. Simply cooked with some vegetables and spices, this rice dish works so well with all sorts of meals. Learn how to make it below.
How Do You Make Texas-Style Spanish Rice?
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- ¼ cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- ½ cup tomatoes with green chiles, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 half of a lime, for serving
- In a skillet, sauté onions and green peppers in oil for 2 minutes. Once done, add the uncooked rice to it and stir.
- Add tomatoes, cumin, salt, turmeric, salt, garlic powder, and water to the skillet. Bring them all to a boil. Afterward, reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and cook the rice for 20 minutes until the water gets absorbed. Remove from the heat and let steam for 8-10 minutes.
- Garnish the rice with chopped cilantro and serve with lime. Serve immediately.
- Before adding the uncooked rice to the skillet, make sure to rinse it properly in order to avoid a gummy and unpleasant texture when cooked.
- Uncooked rice is best for this recipe when cooking from scratch in order to avoid overcooked and mushy rice during the cooking process. However, you could also use leftover rice, which is firmer and holds its shape better than fresh rice, in this recipe by simply frying and mixing the ingredients together in the pan.
This Tex-Mex dish is such a classic and the perfect pairing for so many different dishes. With a bit of a kick and some tanginess, this is a fresh side dish for grilled meals or as an easy and simple weekday vegetarian lunch.
Want to learn more easy rice recipes? Check out our website for more.