This teriyaki chicken fried rice stir fry features homemade teriyaki sauce over chicken folded into a flavorful Japanese-style fried rice loaded with vegetables. Ready in under an hour and the perfect use for leftover rice, this is an easy delicious meal for weeknight dinners.
Want to learn how to make this simple teriyaki chicken fried rice? We’ve got the recipe for you right here.
How Do You Make Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice?
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts, cut into 1-in chicken pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of green onions, finely minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups cold cooked rice (white rice or brown rice is up to preference)
- Sesame seeds for topping
- Sesame oil, optional
- In a small bowl, whisk water, soy sauce, ginger, half of the garlic, sugar, honey, and cornstarch-water mixture until smooth. Set teriyaki sauce aside.
- Heat a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add a generous amount of oil and swirl to coat the bottom. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add cut chicken in a single layer and season with salt and pepper. Cook chicken and garlic in oil, turning occasionally until chicken is cooked through and slightly crispy. Transfer meat to a plate.
- Drain oil from the pan. Add prepared sauce to the pan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Stir frequently until the teriyaki sauce is thickened, then add chicken and toss until evenly coated. Scrape chicken into a bowl and keep warm.
Teriyaki Fried Rice
- Heat a deep skillet or wok over medium heat. Add butter and stir to coat the bottom. Add beaten eggs to skillet or wok and cook until cooked through, folding occasionally. Transfer eggs to a cutting board and finely chop. Set eggs aside.
- Heat the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil and swirl to coat the bottom. Add carrots and saute until tender. Add green parts of onion and cook until just slightly wilted. Add white parts and frozen peas and cook a few extra minutes until peas are heated through.
- Add rice to skillet and cook until rice is heated through. Add teriyaki chicken and eggs and stir well until combined. Serve fried rice warm with sesame seeds on top for garnish and drizzle with optional sesame oil and more soy sauce if needed. Serve immediately.
Cooking Tips for This Homemade Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- This teriyaki fried rice uses cooked chicken, but you can replace that with any other meat. This recipe also tastes great with beef and steamed broccoli.
- Cold rice or cooked rice is best for fried rice recipes like this one as making fried rice can cause uncooked rice to turn mushy during the cooking process.
- White rice or brown rice works for this recipe, but we recommend jasmine rice as this long-grain rice has the best texture when fried in Asian recipes.
- Add spice by serving with a side of Sriracha sauce.
- We recommend using low-sodium soy sauce so you have better control of the saltiness of your teriyaki chicken fried rice.
- This recipe can also be cooked in an Instant Pot with raw rice. Simply cook the teriyaki chicken in the pot before adding the rice and vegetables before allowing it to pressure cook according to the Instant Pot instructions.
Risotto is a great way to experiment with new dishes as it’s a simple base that can work with so many different ingredients. This parmesan and lemon version is a fantastic starting point and something you can always come back to when you’re craving some simple yet super appetizing risotto on any given day.
Looking for other easy meals like this one? Check out our blog for more rice recipes.