One-pan recipes are great meals for individuals or families who have busy lifestyles. They can be made in one large skillet, a rice cooker, or an Instant Pot. These one-pan recipes are quick and fuss-free, allowing anyone to have a hearty, homemade meal without stress. If you want a versatile dish that can be cooked in one way and served in multiple ways, this Southwestern Rice recipe is for you.
What Kind of Rice is Mexican Rice Made From?
Mexican Rice is a delicious side dish made using white rice. It includes tomatoes, peppers, garlic, and onions among other ingredients. This rice dish is also blended with spices such as cumin, peppers, paprika, chili powder, and the like. It is a great side dish that is eaten to complement any favorite Mexican meal, most notably carne asada, tacos, mole, and grilled chicken.
Can You Make Mexican Rice With White Rice and Salsa?
Yes, you certainly can. Long-grain white rice is commonly used when making Mexican Rice. You can mix any long-grain rice, salsa, and taco seasoning to make Mexican Rice.
Southwest Style Rice Recipe Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 fresh corn (or frozen corn)
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 medium green pepper (diced)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 1 can chopped green chilies
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh cilantro or dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
Southwestern Rice Recipe Directions
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Rinse rice under water 4 to 5 times or until it runs clear. Drain in a sieve or rice washer.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and onion. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers to the pan. Saute pepper for 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice, tomatoes, cumin, chili powder, and chicken broth. Cook and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover the pan. Simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients such as corn, black beans, and diced tomatoes. Add a little salt and pepper for flavor.
- Cover the pot and cook until heated through.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve while hot.
Tips for Making Southwestern Rice Dish
- This delicious Southwestern Rice dish can be served with warm tortillas and sour cream.
- You may substitute the chicken broth with vegetable broth instead. You may also use water if you’d like.
- Fresh or frozen corn can be used in this recipe. If using frozen corn, be sure to thaw it before cooking. If using fresh corn, roasting it would add a little more flavor to this recipe.
- The black beans should be drained and rinsed. You may also opt to skip the black beans if you are not fond of them.
- If you are pressed for time, you may use Minute Rice. Simply stir Minute Rice in a medium pot on the stove over medium heat.
- If you are sensitive to heat and spice, you may remove the green chiles and tone down the spices.
- Garnish the dish with chopped fresh or dried cilantro at the end.
- Garlic powder can also be used as a substitute for garlic cloves.
- You may use either red or white onion for this dish. Be sure that you finely dice the onions before adding them to the pan.
- This recipe can be done in an Instant Pot or a baking dish.
- If you want to add meat to this dish, you can add grilled chicken, steak, or shrimp on top of it.
This Southwest-Style Rice recipe is a rice and bean dish that is the perfect accompaniment to any meal. It can be eaten with burritos, enchiladas, tacos, chicken, and many more. You can easily cook this recipe in one pan or use an Instant Pot to set and forget it. Try it out!
Searching for the best dishes to serve to your family? Browse through our collection of recipes.