Peaches are more than just a refreshing summer fruit used in desserts! Did you know that their taste lends well to savory dishes too? Peaches add a sweet balance to any vinegary or spicy dish.
If you have an abundance of peaches or if you’re just craving that classic sweet-savory combination, here’s a Peachy Pork with Rice recipe that you can whip up in the kitchen.
Peachy Pork with Rice Ingredients
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked rice (white or brown)
- 4 pork chops
- 1/2 cup peach preserves
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 8 ounces salsa
- 2 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Peachy Pork with Rice
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear, then cook it in a rice cooker. You may also cook it over the stovetop.
- Trim all the visible fat from your pork chops. Coat all sides of the chops with taco seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Brown the pork chops and garlic in vegetable oil. This should take about 6 to 9 minutes.
- In a measuring cup, mix the peach preserves, brown sugar, and salsa.
- Pour over the chops.
- Cover and simmer for at least 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook until the liquid is reduced to half.
- Serve over rice.
- If you don’t want to cook rice from scratch, you can also use instant rice and cook it according to the package directions.
- This recipe uses pork chops but you may also use pork tenderloin cut into cubes.
- You may use mild or hot salsa and adjust the spice according to your taste.
- You can use sliced peaches instead of peach preserves.
- You can serve this dish with corn or greens on the side.
Peaches and pork go well together, especially when served with rice. This is a simple dish yet it is full of flavor and can become a staple of your weekly family dinners when done right. You don’t even have to wait for summer to arrive to have it! Go ahead and give it a try!
Looking to cook more rice dishes? Browse our recipe collection.