Simplify your weeknight dinner routine with this easy Instant Pot chicken with rice and peas recipe. Soft brown rice cooked with juicy chicken, fresh vegetables, and flavorful spices, this healthy one-pot meal is something you’ll go back to again and again.
How Do You Make Instant Pot Chicken with Rice and Peas?
We love being able to cook our chicken recipes perfectly in an Instant Pot because of how low-effort the process is with such a high-quality meal as a result.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ cups uncooked long-grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup frozen peas
- fresh parsley and grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Heat the olive oil in a 6 quart or larger Instant Pot using the saute setting then add the onion and carrots. Saute, stirring often, until the vegetables start to soften, about 3 minutes. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Stir in the garlic. Add the brown rice, Dijon mustard, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and chicken broth. Stir well, scraping up any bits that are stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Make sure that all of the rice and vegetables are in the liquid, not on the sides of the pot. Place the chicken breasts on top of the rice mixture.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and set the pressure valve to sealing. Pressure cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. The Instant Pot will take about 15 minutes to come to pressure and then the cooking time will begin counting down.
- Allow the Instant Pot to automatically release pressure for 10 minutes by leaving it off after it finishes cooking.
- Then, carefully do a quick pressure release by moving the steam release valve to the venting position. Once all of the steam has been released and the pin drops down, carefully open the Instant Pot lid.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board. Stir the peas into the Instant Pot, close the lid, and let sit for 5 minutes to heat the peas through.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Stir the chicken back into the rice mixture in the pot.
- Serve with fresh parsley and grated Parmesan, if desired.
- Make sure you rinse your rice before starting the recipe to remove excess starch and keep it from becoming sticky. For this recipe, avoid white rice or instant rice as these will become mushy.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat to steaming hot before serving.
- Cut the vegetables into larger pieces for best results. If the vegetables are cut too small, they will become mushy under the intensity of pressure cooking.
When you want to make something that’s both nutritious and delicious for the whole family without putting in a whole lot of effort in the kitchen, this Instant Pot recipe is definitely for you.
Looking for other rice recipes? Check out our blog for more.