Looking to switch up your weekly dinners without putting in that much effort in the kitchen? Recipes like this cheesy Italian rice with sausage meal will make cooking a breeze while providing everyone at the dinner table with a delicious plate, and can even be saved in the refrigerator for quick lunches. Learn how to make this recipe below and expect everyone to get seconds.
How to Make Cheesy Italian Rice with Sausage
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 11 oz. sausage, see notes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ¼ cups white long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, sliced
- 10.75 oz. cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, optional
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Slice the sausage into ½-inch thick slices and cook according to package instructions. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter and add the diced onions. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan along with the chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil and add the rice. Bring back to a boil and cover tightly.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and close the lid to release starch and make the rice stickier. Cook 5-10 more minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave it covered. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Any rice left on the bottom will release during this time.
- Return to low heat. Add the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Add the sausage, and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook until heated through. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Before beginning the recipe, refer to the rice package instructions for the amount of liquid and cooking time. If preferred, cook the rice separately and skip the broth ingredient. You will need 3 and 3/4 cups of cooked rice to combine with the other casserole ingredients.
- This recipe can be frozen and kept for up to a month. Simply defrost and put over medium heat before serving.
This one-pot meal is the perfect thing to cook when you don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen but still want to eat something that’s filling and tastes great. This casserole can be made for the whole family or as something for yourself that you can save in the refrigerator or freezer so you can just grab it, reheat it, and enjoy it. Looking for other recipes? Try this egg fried rice.