Seafood, fish, in particular, can be made in many ways. You can fry it, saute with garlic and onion, boil it, steam it, and so much more. If you have some tilapia fillets that you want to eat but find your usual methods to be boring, here’s a recipe that you can make.
This Tilapia with Jasmine Rice recipe requires only a few ingredients and can be made in a flash. Moreover, it’s extremely low in fat, making it perfect for those who are watching their calories. Give it a go in your kitchen!
Should Tilapia Be Marinated?
Tilapia is a white fish with a mild flavor and it can absorb the flavor of seasonings very easily. This makes it a highly versatile food that can be used in numerous recipes.
With that said, marinating it is entirely optional. If you like the taste of its mild flavor, you can leave it as is. If you want to experiment with marinades, you can do so as well. Some popular seasonings include garlic, sesame, honey soy, and lemon pepper.
Why Do You Soak Tilapia in Milk?
Soaking tilapia or any seafood such as shrimp, scallops, and the like, in milk will neutralize its unwanted fishy smell. Let your seafood spend about 20 minutes sitting in milk to absorb the unwanted odor.
What Temperature Should Tilapia Be Cooked At?
Tilapia cooks very easily. It is usually done cooking at 145 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2 tilapia fillets
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
How to Cook Tilapia with Jasmine Rice
- Pour the Italian salad dressing straight into a pan. Make sure that the bottom is covered but not too much. Heat the salad dressing over medium heat until hot.
- Place the fillets on top of the Italian salad dressing in the pan.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of black pepper, ground cumin, paprika, and celery salt on the tilapia fillets.
- Cook the fish on medium-low heat, approximately 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until the fillets flake easily with a fork.
- While the fillets are slowly cooking, cook the rice. In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup of rice, 2 1/2 cups of water, and 1 tablespoon of butter. Bring the rice to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes on low or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Add more ground cumin, or another teaspoon of salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Serve the fillets on top of the cooked rice.
- While this recipe calls for jasmine rice, you may use any rice that you prefer. You can use brown rice, wild rice, and the like. Others have also cooked this dish with rice pilaf.
- You may also add vegetables such as garlic, onion, broccoli, sugar snap peas, and more.
- If you do not have butter for the rice, you may also use margarine. Alternatively, you can skip the butter if you wish.
- The recipe states 1/8 teaspoon salt but you can adjust this amount according to your taste.
- You can add more or reduce the cumin according to your taste.
- If you don’t have salad dressing, you may use balsamic vinaigrette for the sauce.
- Aside from seafood seasoning, you can also use Old Bay seasoning. This can be bought in stores or you can also make your own.
Impress your family with your very own creation in the kitchen! This Tilapia with Jasmine Rice recipe is a delicious dish that’s low in calories, making it a healthy and well-rounded meal for everyone.
Looking for more rice recipes to make for your family? Browse through our collection.