One-pot meals are a fuss-free way to have a warm, hearty, tasty dish with the whole family. If you’ve been craving Mexican food, then look no further for your dinner tonight is right here! This Mexican Rice Casserole dish is a comforting and filling recipe that you will not be able to get enough of.
Make Your Own Taco Seasoning
While taco seasoning is commercially available, you can make your own Mexican blend with the ingredients that you have at home! You’ll need the following spices:
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons black pepper
Simply mix together all the spices in a small bowl and you have your own taco seasoning. You can now use it in this Mexican Rice Casserole and in all these recipes that you love!
Mexican Rice Casserole Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces of Black beans (drained)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
Optional: Your favorite taco toppings (diced green onions, sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips, a sprinkle of lime juice)
All the ingredients that you need for this delicious Mexican Rice Casserole can be found in your nearest grocery. Look for long grain white rice as it can hold itself up and soak the liquid in the dish.
Lean ground beef is best as it isn’t greasy however, you may also wish to substitute the ground beef for another kind of meat that you prefer. You may even skip it altogether if you want to make this Mexican Rice Casserole vegan.
The recipe also specifies black beans but you may use pinto beans instead. You may even skip the black beans altogether if you aren’t a fan of them. Additionally, you may substitute the tomato sauce with homemade salsa or a red enchilada sauce instead for less acidity.
How To Make Mexican Rice Casserole
Yield: 6 servings, Meal prep time: 10 minutes
This absolutely delicious Mexican Rice Casserole is something that the whole family will love. Best of all, it is gluten-free! Be sure to prepare your cooked rice before you make this dish.
- In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and bell pepper, stirring frequently until the onions have become translucent.
- Switch the stove to medium-high heat and add the lean ground beef to the large skillet. Add a dash of salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine ingredients and cook until beef is no longer pink.
- Once the beef is no longer pink, remove the pan from the stove, and add the taco seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Return the pan to the stove over medium heat.
- Make sure that the black beans have been drained before adding them in.
- Add corn, bell pepper, and green chilies, and stir together, cooking for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and tomato sauce. You may substitute the chicken broth with beef broth. Bring to a boil.
- Add the long grain rice. If white rice isn’t available or if you want a healthier dish, you may use brown rice. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover the rice casserole as you simmer for 18 to 20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Most of the tomato sauce and liquid should be evaporated as well.
- Remove from heat, add half of the cheese, and stir it in.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the rice casserole. Cover and let it melt.
- Add in your favorite taco toppings and serve.
Mexican Rice Casserole Tips
- Long-grain white rice is the best kind of rice to use in a Mexican Rice Casserole. You may use jasmine rice or basmati rice.
- It’s best to not use instant rice in a Mexican Rice Casserole. Instant rice will cook too fast and will not soak up the liquid.
- Long-grain brown rice can be used in this Mexican casserole as a substitute for long-grain white rice.
- Use your favorite taco toppings to enhance the Mexican Rice Casserole.
- If you don’t have black beans, you may use pinto beans instead.
- It’s suggested to use a large skillet but this recipe can also be cooked in an Instant Pot.
- If you don’t have chicken broth, beef broth can be used as well.
- To make this Mexican Rice Dish vegan, you can skip the ground beef. Use vegetable broth instead of chicken or beef broth, and replace the cheese with vegan cheese.
- Add in your favorite taco toppings such as a dollop of sour cream, green onions, more green chiles, and the like to enhance this Mexican Rice Casserole.
- Aside from canned diced tomatoes, fire-roasted tomatoes or Rotel tomatoes work just as well.
- Make sure to only stir in the cheese once the long grain rice is tender.
Level it up with your favorite taco toppings. File this Mexican Rice Casserole under your favorite easy recipes to make!
Looking for more mealtime ideas? Check out our delicious recipes that the whole family will love.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I replace ground beef with something else?
You definitely can! You may use ground chicken instead of ground beef. Some people add ground turkey as well.
What can I use as a sour cream substitute?
You can replace sour cream with plain greek yogurt, Tzatziki, cream cheese, and cottage cheese.
We Know Rice Social MediaFollow Us Follow Us Follow Us