When it comes to the title of the easiest recipes, fried rice recipes definitely take the cake. Other recipes might require a quick look at your notes, but not this breakfast-to-dinner dish. Not only is it super simple to make, but it’s also quite popular everywhere. You’ve most likely had this as a kid growing up, and even today restaurants in populated cities like upstate New York serve their own version of these recipes.
The beauty of fried rice is that it can be made with almost anything, making it an excellent way to use leftover white rice and other ingredients you might have in your cupboards. In this fried rice, bacon and scrambled eggs, which are two breakfast favorites, are used to add protein and flavor to the cooked rice. With additional vegetables added, this dish is a complete meal on its own. Want to know how to make the easiest and most delectable of all fried rice recipes? Read more below.
How to Make Bacon and Egg Fried Rice: Recipe
This simple recipe combines popular recipes into one meal; egg, fried rice, bacon, and stir fry vegetables. With the quick cooking time, you can cook this in the morning without much fuss. It’s recipes like these that help you get through the day!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 3 large eggs
- 7 o.z bacon, sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 carrot, sliced
- Fresh black pepper, to taste
- Green onion, chopped
- In a large skillet or nonstick frying pan, cook the bacon over medium heat. Fry until the bacon is crispy and all of the fat has melted. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate or container. Leave 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease in the pan, and the rest to a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add beaten eggs in the skillet with a touch of salt and pepper until they reach the appropriate consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Place the cooked beaten eggs next to the cooked bacon.
- Add the diced onion and garlic to the pan with 2 tablespoons of the conserved bacon fat and vegetable oil. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onions are transparent.
- Toss in the peas, carrots, and scallions, then add the rice and soy sauce and stir fry. Give it a good stir to properly combine the ingredients. Gently scramble the bacon and eggs to the pan, stirring frequently, until warmed through. Add sugar, salt,and pepper to taste.
- Add green onions on top. Serve immediately.
Kitchen Tips and Cooking Notes
- The lovely thing about fried rice recipes is that the ingredients are not set in stone. Want to add vegetables or more meat? Customize the recipe according to your personal preference.
- Day-old rice is ideally the best to use in fried rice recipes. If you’re planning to make this dish, it’s ideal you prepare the rice at least four hours beforehand.
- This bacon and egg fried rice is best served when there’s still steam coming from the grains, so serve immediately after cooking.
- Are grains too dry? Add a little bit of water or chicken stock and additional soy sauce to the recipe. You can add the liquid directly to the grains to help separate large clumps of rice.
- This bacon and egg fried rice might be a little too rich considering the egg is fried in bacon fat. If you want the recipe to contain less saturated fat, simply replace the bacon fat with sesame oil.
- Fried rice recipes require a lot of stirring, and this dish isn’t an exception. Make sure you’re constantly stirring the ingredients or else the grains might cook unevenly.
- For a little more vitamin c, you can add red peppers and potato to the bacon and egg-fried rice. Make sure to add them along with the peas and carrots.
- Cut the bacon into thick chunks if you prefer more chewy meat in your fried rice recipes. You can also remove the bacon and add only scrambled eggs for a lighter meal.
- While it’s best to use freshly fried bacon and eggs, you can prepare them the night before to save more time.
It can be tiring to think of new recipes to serve for dinner, so sometimes good-old classic recipes will do. Easy to make and can please the pickiest of eaters, fried rice is an excellent way to use up any leftover rice in your refrigerator and ensure that you have no leftovers after dinner.
For more recipes like this, you can head to our website.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this dish vegetarian-friendly?
As stated above, fried rice recipes are generally flexible and can be adjusted according to your preferences. Simply remove the eggs and bacon and replace them with any vegetables you like.
What kind of grain should I use for fried rice recipes?
White long-grain rice is the ideal choice for fried rice recipes. It cooks up fluffy but not sticky, with firm and distinct individual grains. This makes it easy for you to stir while you’re cooking. However, fried rice recipes aren’t strict ingredient-wise. Unlike recipes like paella that might call for a specific type of grain, you can use any grain variety available.